Sunday, June 24, 2012

This watercolor completed in late 2011 for new greeting card.  I used three primary transparent watercolor pigments for the blossoms, cobalt blue, Quinacridone Rose (Daniel Smith) and Aureolin Yellow.  To get the darker shades, I layered over dry paint as many as 4 or 5 times.  In the shadowed part of the blossoms, I sometimes dotted in blue, and rose paint and let it mix on the paper. 

For the leaves I underpainted with Aureolin Yellow, then mixed Sap Green with Yellow, or Cobalt Blue.  For darker greens, I used the sap with rose or with a rose and blue mixture (lavender).  The background was painted wet into wet with cobalt blue, yellow and sap green.  The background pigments were brushed in with thick and juicy paint.  I painted arount the leaves (did not mask them). 

To view the inside of the note card just Google Pacific Northwest Watercolors and click on "greeting cards".

No comments:

Post a Comment