Saturday, June 12, 2010

White Rose, Yellow Glow


The image used for, "White Rose, Yellow Glow" was taken from a photograph I took from a neighbor's garden.
I started by sketching the rose on a piece of 300 lb cold press watercolor paper.
I then put out the pigments I would use for this flower: aureolin yellow, cobalt blue, and quinacridone rose (from Daniel Smith)

I began the painting by applying washes of pure yellow on the shapes under the petals that I wanted to have that yellow glow. I let these areas dry
I then began mixing grayed hues of the yellow by mixing various amounts of cobalt blue with the yellow. If the mixture appeared too green, I added a drop of quin rose to neutralize the color. I then applied the yellow-grays to the areas that were previously painted with the pure yellow glaze. I gradually built up these areas by letting the thin glazes dry before applying additional yellow gray colors on top.

I then began painting the blue gray shadows on the petals. I started by mixing my various shades of gray by mixing cobalt blue with mixtures of aurolin yellow and quin rose. If the mixtures turned toward brown, I added more blue. (The different between mixing gray and brown is the amount of blue added.)

I used the same method painting the shadows on the petals as I did under the petals by building up the subtle shadow colors glazing one gray over another letting the bottom layer dry first.

The background was painting with a different mixture of pigments in addition to the colors used for the flower. this blog will continue later

No comments:

Post a Comment